Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

decal paper

+7
Hampton Caught
modelrallysport.com
Speedy
GMR..Models
brian
sbuckley
bmd
11 posters

Go down

decal paper Empty decal paper

Post  bmd Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm

right, someone has to ask the odd silly question, and it might as well be me lol!! Embarassed

i have seen posts talking about white v clear decal paper, but i don't fully understand something....if the actual decal film itself, ie the sheet that is applied to the model, is always clear, what are the advantages of white backing paper? i need to print a small white decal for a sunstrip, white lettering onto a dark blue background, i had tried clear paper, but the letters disappear when applied, it is so thin..........if i use white paper, which i was about to buy, then the film is still clear isn't it? i mean, do the white letters actually appear white even though my printer does not print white? if the answer is no, as i suspect, then where are the advantages of white decal paper over clear decal paper, when the film layer is always clear?

i'm obviously missing something here, so apologies if this is a really sillly one lads............ Embarassed
cheers
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

decal paper Empty Re: decal paper

Post  sbuckley Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Clear decal paper is for light coloured background. You can't print white (on an inkjet or laser printer anyway) so If you want to add white to your sun visor you will need to print the white text on the blue background on white decal paper - you will actually only be printing the blue bit - the white text area will let the white of the paper show through, if that makes sense! On white decal paper the film is white
sbuckley
sbuckley

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm

As said above, white decal paper is used on a dark model where you need some white lettering to show through. The film is actually white not clear. So instead of printing the white lettering (doesnt even need to be white, just any colour ligher than the model) you are actually printing the colour of the base model everywhere except where you want the lettering to be.

Heres an example. Say you want a sun visor with Kumho tyres on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

For this, you would need to print the red part on white decal film so as to have it correct on the model. If you were to print this on clear, then the parts of the logo that need to be white will instead be clear

Back to top Go down

Post  sbuckley Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm

That's correct Brian. On clear the white bit would take the colour of whatever it is applied to. The only way to get that logo on any car other than white is to print the logo onto white decal paper.
sbuckley
sbuckley

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:25 pm

A tidy way of doing it is..Print backround on the clear decal paper..Then get white decal sheet and cut to the size of the original decal to be aplied..Slip the white decal cut out on to the screen or whatever then place your printed decal over the top..
If you print solely onto the white paper then cut out, The edges of the print will bleed,leaving white showing through on the edges..very tacky..
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

http://www.gmrmodels.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Speedy Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:30 pm

On the subject of decal paper, where is the best place to buy it or what type of decal paper is best to use??
Speedy
Speedy

http://www.peespeed.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:48 pm

sean, gary, brian.........many thanks lads so i can do it using white decal paper.........cheers! Very Happy

peter, i used this guy twice before and he was excellent, good service and paper seems top-notch...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I use a UK website called CraftyComputer.com. Decal quality is excellent (ive only ever used the laser paper, not the inkjet paper) and have always received the paper within a week. They sometimes do offers of free shipping, and while it says its for UK only, they issued me a refund on postage last time of bought during the offer.

Back to top Go down

Post  modelrallysport.com Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]--------------------This is Guy i use as do others here his name is Les excellent product good service good price give him your support if you can.

modelrallysport.com

http://www.modelrallysport.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 pm

modelrallysport.com wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]--------------------This is Guy i use as do others here his name is Les excellent product good service good price give him your support if you can.
2nd that George..Les is spot on and honest..also posts superfast..
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Like Brian, I buy my decal paper from Crafty Computer Paper. Their service and quality of decal paper (both white and clear, for inkject printers) is superb. Cool

I had bought some clear paper from a source in China via eBay, but the ink leaked, leaving a smeared look which was nowhere near as crisp as the paper from CCP. It's not worth going for cheap decal sheet as your finished decals will look cheap, but not cheerful! Mad

Hope that helps, and happy decalling. Don''t forget the acrylic spray. I get that from CCP too and it works very well, sealing the (water-soluble inkjet) ink on to the paper and leaving the decal to slide off the backing, onto your model and a smile to slide onto your face! cheers

Haven't had experience of the other sources mentioned, but wanted my vote in favour of CCP to be counted! Very Happy
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:05 pm

GMR..Models wrote:
modelrallysport.com wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]--------------------This is Guy i use as do others here his name is Les excellent product good service good price give him your support if you can.
2nd that George..Les is spot on and honest..also posts superfast..

Agree with that too, very helpful guy
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Suppose lads it personal opinion really..If you find something that works and your happy you stick to that product.. dont fix whats not broke and all that..I too like Steve had bought rubbish in the past and also sounds like the same symptoms steve experienced. That also was paper from HongKong..Total rubbish it was..
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:31 pm

What would be a reasonable quality inkjet printer for printing these tiny decals with? What do you use successfully? I need to buy a new printer anyway so might as well see if I can get it to do what I need it too!
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 pm

You can pick up colour laser printers pretty cheap nowadays. Got mine for €90. Benefit of laser over inkjet is there is no need to coat the decal in a clearcoat before putting it in water. On the Meeke 6r4 trial fit im doing, the decals paper was still hot from the printer when it went into the water.With an inkjet, you would need to let the ink dry, then clearcoat it, let that dry, then use

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 pm

I have used white paper to get white lettering-you your colour background print onto the white paper. Now I have the Alps I should be able to print white lettering ton to clear paper too.
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 pm

brian wrote:You can pick up colour laser printers pretty cheap nowadays. Got mine for €90. Benefit of laser over inkjet is there is no need to coat the decal in a clearcoat before putting it in water. On the Meeke 6r4 trial fit im doing, the decals paper was still hot from the printer when it went into the water.With an inkjet, you would need to let the ink dry, then clearcoat it, let that dry, then use

Clearcoat? You mean lacquer Brian?
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:19 pm

aye gary i have sprayed lacquer over injet paper before to stop the ink running when you submerge it....it is a must, before use......... Smile
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Might go laser instead then Billy seems like too much hard work inkjet, plus I'm not the patient!
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 pm

bmd wrote:aye gary i have sprayed lacquer over injet paper before to stop the ink running when you submerge it....it is a must, before use......... Smile
Most definitely Billy! Have you seen the colour the water changes to if you don't lacquer your inkjet decals! affraid
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 am

indeed m8!! its a mistake you only make once................. Embarassed
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am