Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing Tampo Print from IXO models

+5
Hampton Caught
Simon6R4
Manowar
Cowley
rallymodels.co.uk
9 posters

Go down

Removing Tampo Print from IXO models Empty Removing Tampo Print from IXO models

Post  rallymodels.co.uk Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:20 pm

As a general rule, I have been using "t-cut - the original colour restorer" with a cotton bud, to remove tampo, inc rallyplates on the rear windows. Tried all the other options, and this appears the best....
rallymodels.co.uk
rallymodels.co.uk

http://www.rallymodels.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Removing Tampo Print from IXO models Empty Re: Removing Tampo Print from IXO models

Post  Cowley Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Agree totally Andy, as it is my preferred method as well. Wink

You just have to be a little careful at times, and don't rush things - too much rubbing and you'll take the next layer of paint off as well! Embarassed What I have done in the past though is to use cellotape to mask off any tampo print I want to keep, that is close to some I want to remove. Wink Seems to work a treat if you work away from the cellotape - work towards it and you will lift the edge up.
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Removing Tampo Print from IXO models Empty Re: Removing Tampo Print from IXO models

Post  Manowar Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 pm

I always use DLE-90 to remove tampo on the models. You have to be carefull but most of the time it works.
Manowar
Manowar

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:58 pm

I use T cut as well or sometimes Farecla which is similar to T cut, both work well, the Farecla is less 'greasy' than T cut. Agree with David the key is slowly and carefully so as not to rub through the the first paint layer as well as the tampo.
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Guys, whenever I'm masking anything (whether it's a model or something larger like skirtingboard at home) I always use low tack masking tape. It's excellent stuff to use as it doesn't adhere too firmly to the base layer, which might otherwise pull decals off that you want to protect. It doesn't leave anything behind either.

I always buy my rolls of low tack masking tape from a local paint and decorators merchant, supporting local businesses.

With windows, I've often found I can ease the rallyplates off rear windows with a finger nail. As with so many model-making techniques, much of it is about being patient and being aware of what is going on that you can't see, like a supporting finger nail cutting a hole in soft paint whilst you're applying a decal on the other side! Done that! Embarassed

Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  TrevorP Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Simon6R4 wrote:I use T cut as well or sometimes Farecla which is similar to T cut, both work well, the Farecla is less 'greasy' than T cut. Agree with David the key is slowly and carefully so as not to rub through the the first paint layer as well as the tampo.

Have had good results with the Autoglym version - 'Paint Renovator' I think they call it - and for the craic, finished off with a drop of their polish as well. Smells nice too. Smile

Trevor
TrevorP
TrevorP

Back to top Go down

Post  scooby-doo1962 Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Manowar wrote:I always use DLE-90 to remove tampo on the models. You have to be carefull but most of the time it works.

I use that too, it's also good for removing the decals from the windows.

scooby-doo1962

Back to top Go down

Post  gofastfreddy Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:49 pm

I USE nail remover without acetone , and for windows from the parmacy isoprpylalcohol , works always

gofastfreddy

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 am

scooby-doo1962 wrote:
Manowar wrote:I always use DLE-90 to remove tampo on the models. You have to be carefull but most of the time it works.

I use that too, it's also good for removing the decals from the windows.

Got to be this stuff - buy it from German ebay it worksa treat, just try to avoid running or you will dissolve those decals you want to keep if they're not covered/protected. king
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down