Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 HRCR Open Day at Gaydon

2 posters

Go down

2016 HRCR Open Day at Gaydon Empty 2016 HRCR Open Day at Gaydon

Post  CDM Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 pm

The HRCR Open Day’s Mini Adventure

This year the HRCR (Historic Rally Car Register) Open Day on 16th January 2016, will look back 50 years at the controversy created by the Mini on the 1966 Monte Carlo Rally as well as celebrate the Minis continued success and popularity in historic rallying today.

Following wins by the Mini in both ‘64 and ‘65, 1966 tipped the organisers over the edge when Timo Mäkinen led Rauno Aaltonen and Paddy Hopkirk to a dominant BMC Mini one, two, three finish.

However, keen to see a result for Citroën on its home ground the Minis were disqualified for having single filament bulbs in their standard head lamps instead of double-filament dipping bulbs, fitted to series production Minis. The disqualifications also extended to other British entries including Roger Clark in a Lotus Cortina in fourth and Rosemary Smith in a Hillman Imp in sixth (who would have won the Coupe des Dames). Amidst the uproar the 5th placed Citroën ID of Pauli Toivonen (father of Henri Toivonen) was elevated to first position. This car also used the single filament bulbs, but was allowed to win as these were fitted as standard on some production models. Unhappy with the course of events, Toivonen refused to accept the cup at the presentation ceremony.

The status quo was reinstated a year later in 1967, when Rauno Aaltonen and Henry Lidden won the event – once again in a Mini.
HRCR President, Paddy Hopkirk – winner of the Monte in ’64, and one of the Mini drivers who suffered disqualification on the ’66 event – will be attending the Open Day and will no doubt be recalling the finer details of the incident which took place that year.

However, it’s not all about Minis! Historic rallying is open to all makes and models of classic cars manufactured before January 1986 and the HRCR support six different forms of historic rally events and championships that offer something for everyone – from the Scenic Tours Series, Clubmans Road Rallies, Speed Series Hill Climbs/Sprints, ‘Old Stager’ Stage Rallies, Premier Rally Championship, to the NEW for 2016, HRCR Stage Masters Challenge.
If you want to know more then visit the HRCR Open Day on Saturday 16th January 2016 at the National Heritage Museum at Gaydon, Warwickshire, (M40 Junc 12). The event is very much a social gathering where you can see the cars and meet the event organisers covering every facet of historic rallying. Doors open at 10am and entry is free. For more information visit www.HRCR.co.uk

A number of genuine ex Rally Minis will be on display inside and outside the exhibition hall. Also expect to see Stuart Turner, Bill Price, Paul Easter and Paddy Hopkirk to be around

NOTE the Museum and 4x4 Experience are closed for refurbishment.

I will be there selling rally models and rally books. If you want a rally book brought to the show please let me know.

Also Charlie M the resident Mini Man in the SHMAC will have two boxes of Mini models on display.

See you there...
Cheers
Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

2016 HRCR Open Day at Gaydon Empty Re: 2016 HRCR Open Day at Gaydon

Post  Cowley Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Many thanks for the in-depth preview Chris, and I may well see you there on the day - all dependant if my 'acting poorly' performance is believeable on the Absence Line once I attempt to blag the day off from work!
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down