Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!...

+3
Juha
bmd
Cowley
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!... Empty Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!...

Post  Cowley Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 pm

...at stripping paint from diecast models in an economical manner so that the Cellulose Thinners may be reused! cheers

Here's a couple of photos showing 'my system' in operation, followed by Colin's method in detail. Cheers mate, you're an absolute star! Wink 

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!... DSC_1930750_zpsadbf03b3

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!... DSC_1934750_zps410b7471

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!... DSC_1932750_zps71c139ca

Cazzo wrote:All the models were wrapped in paper towel and put into thinners to sit for about half an hour. I then took them out 1 at a time and gave them a rub while they were still wrapped up in the towel. Doing it this way means all the paint that comes off stays in the paper and I can reuse the thinners over and over again. When most of the paint is off and the paper towel is removed I just had to give the model a quick rub over with a stiff plastic brush.
Honest Colin, it really does work a treat! bounce 
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!... Empty Re: Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!...

Post  bmd Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:37 pm

good stuff lads! cheers 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!... Empty Re: Colin, you're method works an absolute treat!...

Post  Juha Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 pm

I suppose does still requires removing the wings and other removable bits?
Juha
Juha

http://www.rallyfoto.be

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:01 am

Unfortunately yes Juha, but wrapping each model in some 2-ply blue paper roll, or a heavy duty kitchen roll, at least ensures that the cellulose thinners isn't contaminated with a myriad of paint residue! Wink 

I must have stripped a dozen this afternoon, and apart from 3 or 4 small flakes of paint, the thinners is still clean - although it does have a slight pinky tinge to it, but only because I squeezed out any excess thinners from each piece of paper once I lifted it out.
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeus Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 am

Can't wait till race retro to see what these end up like Cool 
Zeus
Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:30 am

Well you'll just have to.... lol! 
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 am

Happy Days DC, I'm glad this worked out for you,
I found this way quicker than using nitromors and as there's less mess to clean up I could get more done,
If it does a wee bit to keep the Tree Huggers happy then we all win lol! 

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm

I thought they were your latest spray jobs there DC, was going to say, getting better mate, keep trying. Reckon I'll be giving this a go next time!
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Guys, I've only just seen this method and I'm worried! scratch 

In the first photo, it looks like David had four models in the jar..............yet only two survived! lol! 

Seriously, it does look a great technique. I've been using the Nitromors with great success - love the pop tht the paint makes as the Nitromors gets underneath it, especially on the roof panels! king  However, when I've finished my current bottle of the serious stuff, I'll give this technique a try. sunny 

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:46 pm

gaz_bass wrote:I thought they were your latest spray jobs there DC, was going to say, getting better mate, keep trying. Reckon I'll be giving this a go next time!
lol! 

Honestly mate, it does work as well as Colin stated, and as well as I've back up. The only thing I did was to turn the base models over onto their roofs after a while so that the 'higher ground' was also covered in thinners. Wink Alternatively, you could just pour more thinners into your container so that the models are actually fully immersed, but I was just trying to be a little thrifty with the thinners that's all...

...as my Department for Work and Pensions 'modelling allowance' hasn't materialised yet, so I'm working to a budget! lol! 
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Hampton Caught wrote:Guys, I've only just seen this method and I'm worried!   scratch 

In the first photo, it looks like David had four models in the jar..............yet only two survived!  lol!
You hit the nail on the head Steve! Shocked Until you suggested it, I was totally perplexed where my other two base models had disappeared to! Strong stuff this cellulose thinners... Very Happy 

Like I said Steve, it works perfectly. All you have to do is ensure that all of your model is covered, and that it has had long enough under the thinners. Wrapping each base model in strong kitchen towel, or blue paper roll, ensures that the vast majority of paint is retained within it, and the thinners therefore remains uncontaminated. Mine only started to discolour because I squeezed out any excess thinners from each base model / kitchen towel bundle to use another day. Wink
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes David, certainly looks effective and cheap by recycling the thinners.  

One more query though:  Is the Mini headlamp unit essential or would any kitchen bowl work as well?  Laughing 

Cheers and thanks, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Juha Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 pm

The Mini headlamp unit is there to get an even more authentic BMC/BL/ARG experience. Laughing
Juha
Juha

http://www.rallyfoto.be

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 pm

It is not a Mini headlamp unit! Wink It is a stainless steel dog bowl...

...you'll be telling me next that you didn't know I had a stainless steel dog! Rolling Eyes lol! 
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 pm

here!!! affraid  thats my line!!!! Evil or Very Mad  clown 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:01 pm

lol! 

"Used under license from BMD ©️2013" Wink 
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 am

lol!   ahh, thats better.............like to keep things all legit and above-board as you know david.... study 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am

bmd wrote:lol!   ahh, thats better.............like to keep things all legit and above-board as you know david.... study 
Eh! Since when, Billy? lol! 

Thanks for clarifying, David. What grade of stainless steel have you used? (For the bowl, I mean, not the dog!) Must get the detail right.

I've invested in a roll of 2-ply especially, now I need the rest of the hardware. flower 

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am

lol!!! none taken steve!!! affraid  sunny sunny
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Billy, whoever would have thought that a 'sensible' and useful 'handy hint' thread could be turned into a series of gags and daft comments? scratch 

You should be ashamed of yourself! lol! flower 

I'll get my coat..... Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:37 pm

gags and daft comments??

me???

on this esteemed forum??

now steve..........................Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 pm

I know, Billy! Surely not! Laughing 

'Keep 'em short, informative, to the point and on no account use humour in my posts' that's always been my motto! Ahem! Razz  As it has been yours too, Billy! Wink 

Maybe David can get his thread back? scratch  Maybe!!!!! drunken 

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm

ah david's over 50 now, so he'l find it hard catching us young whippersnappers to punish us for the hijack of his thread!!

(awaiting major dressing down from david the moment he next reads this thread! affraid  )

sorry david.... Embarassed 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Billy, sorry to mention this, mate, but neither of us are far behind 'the ole' man! Wink 

Cheers, Steve (a youthful 45, but who is counting?!)
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 pm

doh!!! forgot you can see my age!!! Embarassed Embarassed  Rolling Eyes 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next