Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered

+13
Simon6R4
newt5550
brian
Ted Creedon
focuswrc
Niallod
Juha
turn the wheel
RORY O CONNOR
reeft1
JOB
CDM
Zeus
17 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered - Page 2 Empty Re: Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered

Post  JOB Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Any David Llewellin, Jimmy McRae or Roger Clark collectors on here ?

Current plan is to look at doing as many winning cars as possible, then cars of those advertised as attending.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered - Page 2 Empty Re: Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered

Post  Juha Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:31 pm

I'm halfway through building the Llewellin 6R4, I suppose that's the one you're after?
Juha
Juha

http://www.rallyfoto.be

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 pm

Juha wrote:I'm halfway through building the Llewellin 6R4, I suppose that's the one you're after?

He had Audi's in 1983,85,87,88 and Celica's in 89 & 90 so if anyone had the decals altered to COI models it would be a help.
Likewise with Jimmy McRae - he went from the 1980's all through the 90's in a whole series of cars - Firenza,Chevette,Metro,Manta,Ascona,Sierra.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:06 pm

James - i should have door plates and bonnet plates for the llewellyn celica and mcrae ascona - drop me a pm with your email address and i will ping them across this weekend if i can find them.
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:36 pm

reeft1 wrote:James - i should have door plates and bonnet plates for the llewellyn celica and mcrae ascona - drop me a pm with your email address and i will ping them across this weekend if i can find them.

All offers of help gladly accepted - james@cjandco.net

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Anyone have a collection of Roger Clark models? or Jimmy McRae models ? Russell Brookes models ? Henri Toivanen models? with Circuit of Ireland one offs amongst them ?

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Niallod Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 am

Hi James, I have a good few Brookes models, a Toivonen 911 from the Circuit as well a McRae HS from the Circuit also.

Niallod

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Hello Niall.....how are you ?????

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  focuswrc Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 pm

James I think the man you need is GMR He has 100+ COI models in his collection. A lot of the rare ones never even seen built.

focuswrc

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Creedon Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:35 pm

James, I have a Rosemary Smith Imp, Pond TR7, Toivonen Sunbeam, Lovell RS200 and a Demi Fitzgerald Mk 1.  Should have an Eddie Colton 205 GTi somewhere too. You're welcome to them.
Ted Creedon
Ted Creedon

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:01 pm

focuswrc wrote:James I think the man you need is GMR He has 100+ COI models in his collection. A lot of the rare ones never even seen built.

I know and I am trying to persuade him to come to he event and bring some of the models with him !!!

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Ted Creedon wrote:James, I have a Rosemary Smith Imp, Pond TR7, Toivonen Sunbeam, Lovell RS200 and a Demi Fitzgerald Mk 1.  Should have an Eddie Colton 205 GTi somewhere too.  You're welcome to them.

Thanks Ted bounce bounce bounce - are you coming to Donies display next week ? If so I can give you back the models you lent me for the Cork 20 display a few years back !!!!!Embarassed
What year is the Pond car ?

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Creedon Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered - Page 2 140109092218hxz7ifCG_medium
Ted Creedon
Ted Creedon

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:00 pm

It is not my intention to drip feed the models that will appear in Killarney but every now and then something comes out of the blue that is totally unexpected. I have just posted a photo on a facebook group called "The Golden Years of Rallying" and as ever if anyone of a technical bent can copy it on here I would be thankful. I am looking for further photos,preferably in colour, of a Chevron B8 (red with a black roof I'm told by the driver) which did both the 1973 Galway and Circuit driven by Mick Dolan. affraid affraid affraid affraid

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:27 pm

James

I vaguely remember a short clip of the Chevron on the 25 years?? of the Donegal Rally DVD.

Havent found any photos yet but found this text any relation here??!!

[QUOTE=Alan Brown;2585583]Two “ex-racing” B8s debuted on the Galway Rally in February 1973. One was driven by Alec Poole (+ Fennell) registered 44 JRI and the other by Mick Dolan (+ Blaney?). The former retired with a blown engine and the latter with suspension problems. (MN 15-2-73 and 22-2-73)

Both were entered on the Circuit of Ireland but Alec Poole changed his entry. Mick Dolan and Jim O’Brien’s car sported a ‘shortened “Monaco-type” nose. On one stage they had to use a narrow tyre on the back when one of the 14 in wide ones punctured.
(MN 3-5-73)

Can they be identified?
The Dolan car was ex Richie Heeley , will check on the Poole car , pretty sure it came from the UK.

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:43 pm

CDM wrote:James

I vaguely remember a short clip of the Chevron on the 25 years?? of the Donegal Rally DVD.

Havent found any photos yet but found this text any relation here??!!

Alan Brown;2585583 wrote:Two “ex-racing” B8s debuted on the Galway Rally in February 1973. One was driven by Alec Poole (+ Fennell) registered 44 JRI and the other by Mick Dolan (+ Blaney?). The former retired with a blown engine and the latter with suspension problems. (MN 15-2-73 and 22-2-73)

Both were entered on the Circuit of Ireland but Alec Poole changed his entry. Mick Dolan and Jim O’Brien’s car sported a ‘shortened “Monaco-type” nose. On one stage they had to use a narrow tyre on the back when one of the 14 in wide ones punctured.
(MN 3-5-73)

Can they be identified?
The Dolan car was ex Richie Heeley , will check on the Poole car , pretty sure it came from the UK.

Thanks Chris. I too found that on one of the other forums. The Poole car was the yellow one with the quoted reg. Isn't it always the case that I end up chasing the more difficult one. I don't have a reg for it. I have picked up a (costly) kit that will need the front chopped off to make the "Monaco-type" nose. Mick told me that it came with two separate nose cones but someone who remembers the car said it looked like someone got an angle grinder to the front of it !!!

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 pm

James

In the interest of research I have just watched the DVD 35 years of Donegal Rally.

In the section for the 1973 rally their is a brief COLOUR clip of the Mick Dolan Chevron with the cut off nose.

The car is a standard red with a black roof and and black lower section on the back.

How many Ballycraine?? Bugles still exist and is Jim O'Brien a relation?

Cheers
Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Creedon Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:34 pm

JOB wrote:It is not my intention to drip feed the models that will appear in Killarney but every now and then something comes out of the blue that is totally unexpected. I have just posted a photo on a facebook group called "The Golden Years of Rallying" and as ever if anyone of a technical bent can copy it on here I would be thankful. I am looking for further photos,preferably in colour, of a Chevron B8 (red with a black roof I'm told by the driver) which did both the 1973 Galway and Circuit driven by Mick Dolan. affraid affraid affraid affraid

There ya go, James.
Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered - Page 2 12342495_921695967906323_5488877194763918496_n
Ted Creedon
Ted Creedon

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 pm

CDM wrote:James

In the interest of research I have just watched the DVD 35 years of Donegal Rally.

In the section for the 1973 rally their is a brief COLOUR clip of the Mick Dolan Chevron with the cut off nose.

The car is a standard red with a black roof and and black lower section on the back.

How many Ballycraine?? Bugles still exist and is Jim O'Brien a relation?

Cheers
Chris

Ballyraine Hotel was the original name of the rally HQ. Since been renamed the Mount Errigal Hotel.
The Ballyraine Bugle was the first attempt at on event rally bulletins which evolved into the Pattersons Rally Bulletins we all became so familiar with in this country.
I have that DVD at home , so guess what James will be looking at tonight !!!!
Chris you have once again proved the worth of this forum. thanks to you and a number of others who have been more than helpful. On a more general note I am getting enthusiastic about what new models will be in the display next Easter.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Ted Creedon wrote:
JOB wrote:It is not my intention to drip feed the models that will appear in Killarney but every now and then something comes out of the blue that is totally unexpected. I have just posted a photo on a facebook group called "The Golden Years of Rallying" and as ever if anyone of a technical bent can copy it on here I would be thankful. I am looking for further photos,preferably in colour, of a Chevron B8 (red with a black roof I'm told by the driver) which did both the 1973 Galway and Circuit driven by Mick Dolan. affraid affraid affraid affraid

There ya go, James.
Circuit of Ireland Rally remembered - Page 2 12342495_921695967906323_5488877194763918496_n

Thanks Ted.
The photo has generated a lot of hot air on facebook but not one solitary piece of information so far.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:31 am

Ant Cheveron clubs that may be of help?????

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks to Chris for the tip on the 35 years of Donegal DVD. Fleeting glimpse of the car but enough to see the layout etc. Being a racing car there was no provision for a spare wheel so it was explained to me that it was bolted to the rear of the car. I had asumed that this was flat like one would see on say the bonnet of some landrovers but interestingly they seem to have some form of pocket within the bodywork into which they slotted the wheel standing in a fashion you might see on some old yank tanks who covered the wheels with fancy covers. Again there was a little signwriting but I am still short of a reg number .
Thanks again for all the help

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 am

I managed to buy a "facelift" model Talbot Lotus sunbeam on ebay which are a pretty rare "bird" for conversion into a COI car. I bought it from Flavio Vineis a man with whom I have dealt in the past. He has emailed me a list of models /kits etc he has for sale. There are 800 models on the list including Irish models. If anyone is interested drop me an email at james@cjandco.net.. Not sure if its ok to cut and paste it on the forum. Over to Brian on that one.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Im sure Flavio wont mind James. Just create a new thread in the for sale section along with details on how to contact him.

Or better yet, convince him to join up and he can post the list himself. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:19 pm

87 COI Sierra should be straight forward, Hannu's 86 Quattro sport already half done upstairs, Aris Black Beauty 1982 also can be converted from the Trofeu model but it needs wider rear arches, McRae 83 Rothmans Ascona also doable.
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next