Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dremel fault

+2
Hampton Caught
Cowley
6 posters

Go down

Dremel fault Empty Dremel fault

Post  Cowley Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:32 am

I have a Dremel 8000 which is cordless, and features a 0-10 variable speed facility - very useful depending on what job you have to do. Well, having switched it on the other day, no matter where I moved the variable switch to, it 'zoomed off' at full Warp Factor 10 speed with no adjustability whatsoever!

Having Googled the issue, it appears that the switches can actually fail, are available as a spare part replacement, and I'm led to believe it's also a job that anyone with a bit of common sense, could do themselves.

Google also revealed a company called The Tool Shop - www.dremel-direct.com - and they sell a wide variety of spares, never mind accessories and the hand tools themselves. Coincidentally, they are also a 5-minute drive from home... ...RESULT! Wink

Has anyone else had a similar problem manifest itself, or even tackled replacing the part yourself?
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Dremel fault Empty Re: Dremel fault

Post  Hampton Caught Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi David,

Sorry to hear of your problem with the Dremel. I presume it's out of warranty?

My Dremel is a 4200 model which is mains powered but also has adjustable speeds. So far so very good... but fingers crossed from now on! Rolling Eyes

Good news that help is on the doorstep, so to speak. I expect that replacing the switch would be straight-forward and there should be some step by step guidance on how to go about it. Depending on how confident you are and how much time you have to spare, it should be DIY-able.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best with this, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks Steve. Yeah, completely out of warranty - ain't that always the case?!

The switch has been priced up at about £28, and they do hold them in stock, so I guess it must be quite a common or recurring issue.

I'm lost without it though, as I have some front bibs to remove, and the rear arches to modify without door pods. I'll pick one up when funds allow me to though... ...and I'll let you know how I get on Doing It Myself!
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:09 pm

My one is mains power. Great thing to have.
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I dont have a brand name dremel, but one I picked up in Aldi several years ago. Does the same job and takes the same tools. Like you guys Id be lost without it. Between this, and my mouse sander (great for shaping Milliput) they are the tools I use most

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 am

David,

I've found the most effective way of removing from bibs is sliding the model across a full-size file.

I used to use my previous 'non-Dremel' then started using the metal file and found it to be better, quicker and tidier for that particular job. Wouldn't want to be without it for the other 6R4 tidying up jobs, mind you!! Laughing

Keep us up to date, David.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Personally, I use the Dremel - well, I did! - to remove the majority of the bib Steve, and then the file on the last 0.5mm to ensure its straight along the bottom of the spoiler. Saves all the effort to get rid of it all using a file. I can still use mine now, but it's quite scary grinding away at Warp Factor 10 without any lower speeds available!
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:49 pm

I STILL haven't done anything to rectify my Dremel fault, but I have been in touch with a local company who have stated that the switch has failed, it'll cost approx £28 to replace it, and is an easy D.I.Y. job to replace it. Wink

That should see me back Dremelling to my heart's content once more!... bounce
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:07 pm

David,

I'm as pleased as Punch to know you're ready to get Dremelling and generally making models again. cheers Seems to have been a lean year for you, what with work and everything! Mad

I'm in a lull myself, having built several rallycross models for my collection whilat I was off work over the summer, now I'm back into the swing of work (now self-employed), I have very little time during the week for the modelling work. The time I do have I must use to complete some commissions, so nothign new to add to my collection for a wee while! Rolling Eyes

Sounds like the £28 would make a superb investment to get your Dremel workning again, certainly cheaper than getting a new tool!!!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks Steve, and yes I have been well & truly bitten by the bug again! bounce
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:04 pm

With a certain degree of renewed enthusiasm for modelmaking following my recent 'blitz' in readiness for 2016 Race Retro, and also finishing my very first CODE343 Limited Edition model release, I thought it was about time that I sorted out my Dremel! It's only been faulty for a year!... Shocked

Recalling my discovery of a local company called The Tool Shop - www.dremel-direct.com - I thought I'd pay them a visit.

£27.34 later (Oh, plus £10.20 for a pack of five 0.75mm steel cutting discs), I now find myself with a brand new Bosch variable speed switch! Wink

Upon returning home, and ten minutes later after removing four torx head screws, unscrewing the collar, unplugging two wires, and then reversing the process, I now find myself with a fully-functioning Dremel 8000 with an equally fully-functioning 0-10 variable speed switch in place!

Here's a photo to support the above... Wink

Dremel fault DSC_0234_zpslxfafm8o
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Nice one DC. Get building then Laughing
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Well, you can't rush these things, David!!! Rolling Eyes

Good news the tool is fixed and sorted out now. Well done that man. Always a bit 'heart in mouth', I know, but you've done it.

Now, as Chris so neatly put it, get building!!! Very Happy

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:40 am

just thought i'd post my current Dremel situation in light of davids post above...

so after not having been used for a couple of years, last week i recharged the dremel 7700 that i got a few years ago....but after two days, perhaps unsurprisingly, no joy....battery pack not charging.....so not sure whether fault lies with charger or battery pack i gave the pack to my mate who works at such things....he took it apart and replaced batteries with new rechargeable ones, re-soldered the wee metal connecting plates and gave it back...next problem, the blue retaining clips which hold the pack into both the charger and the dremel tool itself now are a couple of mm short and wont click into place, so the tool only works when i squeeze the pack into the tool very hard...not exactly ideal lol!!
so not finding replacement pack in uk i called the guy david mentioned above (you knew i'd get to the point sooner or later!! Rolling Eyes ) ,and got talking to dan (beesley?).. i must say he's a most helpful and decent bloke, took time to look up all my various numbers etc for spares and advised on even looking elsewhere before committing to a new one..unfortunately the latest range doesnt include a 7700 7.2v like mine so i may opt for the less powerful 7750 4.2 v but if i do i'll definitely be getting it from dan...
before i do though, ill scour the web again for a replacement pack as my tool and charger are actually still working fine....

anyway, just another plug for that shop posted above..
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down